Cabbage is one of my favorite foods. Growing up I loved anytime my Grandmother would make cabbage for the family. Trying to become healthier, I still wanted cabbage with great flavors without meat. This savory earthy dish is a great complement to any dinner. It is healthy and delicious.
1 medium head of red cabbage, sliced
1 medium head of green cabbage, sliced
1 large sweet onion, sliced
1 small banana pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon of minced garlic or 1 small clove of garlic
4 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
4 tablespoons of brown sugar (or Agave Nectar)
½ cup of red wine vinegar
1 cup of vegetable stock
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Coat the bottom of a large Dutch oven with olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, banana pepper, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté’ for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in brown sugar and mustard and stir until combined.
- Add red wine vinegar and vegetable stock and stir.
- Add cabbage to mixture and stir in mixture, coating cabbage completely. Add salt and pepper to taste and cover Dutch oven for about 45 minutes.
- Continue to check on cabbage, stirring occasionally. If cabbage begins to look dry, add more vegetable stock until done.