Often times Jeremy and I sit at home on Friday night to catch a good movie. During our “date nights” we always want something sweet. This night, I wanted something sweet but not too heavy, so out of the blue we decided to make flourless chocolate cake. I can honestly say this one was simple, yet amazing – especially served with a little vanilla ice cream.
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 6 large eggs room temperature, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of bourbon
- Vanilla ice cream
Yields: 12 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate. Stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar with mixers until thick for about 4 minutes. Add bourbon and salt and beat for an additional minute. Add vanilla and melted chocolate mixture and beat for an additional 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold peaks into chocolate mixture gradually. Pour mixture into a 9-inch springform pan (sprayed with cooking spray and lined with flour) or into cupcake flutes. When baking in springform pan, bake for 40-45 minutes. When baking in cupcake flutes, bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cake cool completely in pan before serving.