When thinking about Valentine’s Day, I tend to think about SWEETS! I wanted to find a dessert that did not require a ton of sugar. This recipe for Poached Pears is a perfect treat that maintains the integrity of the pear while creating a bold flavor that can satisfy your sweet tooth. So, if you are looking for a different type of sweet treat, this one is for you.
- 4 medium pears, peeled – leave stem and cut bottom of pear for a flat bottom
- 2 cups of red wine (i.e. Merlot or Port)
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine orange juice, sugar, honey and cinnamon sticks.
- Once mixture begins to simmer, place pears in liquid and cover. Allow pears to simmer for approximately 20 minutes, turning them every 5 minutes.
- Turn off flame and allow pears to cool in saucepan. Once cool, refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When preparing to serve, take pears out of the refrigerator and allow them to come to room temperature. Heat up access liquid from pears and spoon over pears before serving.